Wednesday, October 4, 2017

You Can Never Go Home Again








Sometimes, loving things and being passionate about them, and being a "fan" of them, is a double edged sword.

For example, I live in a world where many things I grew up loving, such as The X-Men/Marvel Comics, Star Trek, Star Wars, Godzilla, WWF/E wrestling, Doctor Who, etc etc., in their modern/current incarnations, in my opinion, are steaming hot garbage.

Granted, as the saying goes, "Change is Inevitable". But does the "new form" things I love take, have to be so absolutely shitty, sub-par, ill-conceived, and in many cases, not at all resembling what myself and many others actually loved about it in the first place?

I'll always have the old stuff that I love. It's still there, and it's still amazing. But I miss that feeling of being excited about new things. I miss that feeling of excitedly waiting for the next episode or issue of X-Men to come out so I can see what happens next. I miss looking forward to the next Toho Godzilla film. I miss wondering what's going to happen on next Monday's edition of Raw, or being excited about the new Star Wars things coming down the pipeline.

That was a nice feeling. And these days? Even OUTSIDE of those specific things...there just isn't a lot I get excited about anymore. The closest thing is video games, where there ARE still a handful of games that come out every now and then that I'm really enthusiastic about playing. But even those are far fewer in number than they once were years ago. And there's music, there are still some albums that I look forward to that pop up every now and then. But overall? Not much.

It's entirely possible that maybe I really am just "getting old", and jaded, and that the modern world is just "outgrowing me", and I'm just not "keeping up with the times". But it's thus ALSO just as likely, if not more-so, that in truth, the directions/trends that a MAJORITY of modern things follow, really IS a lot dumber/lesser/worse than in years past. Maybe a lot of modern entertainment shit really HAS just gotten that bad, and I'm not able to get excited about it anymore, because there really IS very little to get excited about.

Both fascinating to think about...and depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment